Tuesday 19 June 2012

Tim Smith mitre plane.


On my recent visit to David Stanley auctions I met Tim Smith a fine cabinet maker and budding plane maker. I ordered one of his fine little mitre planes which arrived yesterday, the packaging reflects his attention to detail.


Although styled on a traditional mitre he has added some little touches of his own.


An 18th century style makers mark.


The holly mouth closer has been set extremely fine .


The plane is 5 1/2" long with a 1 1/8" wide blade, a nice handy size.


The plane disassembled.


Removing the blade revealed an additional inset mark which is another nice touch. Although I studied Latin at school I wasn't very good and it was a long time ago! My son helped out,'made by Smith 2012'.


A shot of the tapered holly mouth closer.


The cast steel blade was immaculately prepared and it was no surprise that it performed superbly. I think you'll be seeing more of plane maker Tim Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment