Friday 19 October 2012

Antique Woodworking Magazines


I visited Dansell Gallery recently to take down some more stock and Danielle showed my a couple of boxes of old woodworking magazines. The earliest of them dated back to 1914, almost 100 years ago and I couldn't leave without buying two. They cost me £5 each which was good value for something as rare and old as this, although when I looked at the cover price 3d I realised that was about 1.5 pence (1 cent) in today's money! She has plenty left if anyone is interested http://www.danselgallery.co.uk/


Here is a shot of the back covers, the adverts were fascinating and more interesting than the articles inside!
 J Buck was advertising a work bench for under £2, albeit a flimsy looking thing.


A nice article on a tool chest with measurements.


This is an interesting advert for a sharpening jig which could easily be made in the workshop.


The articles and text look very similar to the layout of the early copies of Fine Woodworking.


Here is a lovely piece from the Gallery with sculpted end panels.


Some tables in the upstairs gallery.

As well as furniture they stock a selection of my planes and other tools which have been selling very well this year. The jointer in the background is an extra long 22" plane, it's a beast!

3 comments:

  1. The patent of the sharpener is here:
    http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=GB&NR=191321996A&KC=A&FT=D&ND=4&date=19140625&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP

    Do you mind if I use the photo of the advertisement in an articel of vintage honing guides?

    I have hundreds of Woodwroker mags, but the nearest to this ones are May and Aug 1914, and then Jan 1915, in nonedoes advert appear. I suspect a short advertising run, and and guide can so easily be made - a short production run.

    Cheers
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, No problem, help yourself to the images. All the best, David.

      Delete