Friday 24 October 2014

New Tool Prototype


This is something I've been meaning to make for some time, a small mallet from solid Lignum Vitae


Instead of the traditional design, I've used the bulbous teardrop handle from my chisel hammer and kept the overall length quite short.


It feels great in the hand, like a smooth pebble with attitude!
The crude mock up in beech and ash, fairly dense native hardwoods, weighs in at just under 6 oz, whereas the lignum version weighs 12 oz, amazing stuff!


6 comments:

  1. Hi David. Did you turn it yourself or work with your turner friend to make? It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barry, I wish I had the time, my friend Jim does a great job. All the best, David.

      Delete
  2. Looks lovely. More delights to tempt us with. It's one piece of wood correct, not a seperate handle and mallet glued together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank, Yes it's turned from a single piece of lignum. All the best, David.

      Delete
  3. Very nice! I see a potential break where the handle meets large end. Maybe a two piece with the handle tenoned to fit into a mortise in the large end? Just asking. I love the handle shape! Looks very comfortable.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's 16mm diameter at its narrowest, same as my chisel hammer, I've sold hundreds of those without issue. I think it should be ok!

      Delete